Worldwide Cotton Producing Area



Cotton Basic Information


American raw cotton 1BALE=500LBS(About 225KG)

Crop year

August 01- July 31 Next year

Crop schedule

(The Northern Hemisphere)Planting: March-May/Harvest: October-December
(The Southern Hemisphere)Planting: October-December/Harvest: April-August


Classified by Color Grade, Fiber Length, Uniformity, Strength,Micronaire and others


International Cotton Association

Cotton is grown in the United States in 17 states stretching from North Carolina on the East Coast to California on the West Coast for a total of 14,297 square miles of farmland. United States produces two main cotton varieties Pima cotton and Upland cotton. Upland cotton planted is about 97% of Total U. S. production and Pima accounts for the remaining 3%.

Upland cotton is grown in four regions of the United States; Southwest Region accounts for 39%, Mid-South 30%, Southeastern about 24% and the West accounting for 7%. There are 150 Upland cottonseed varieties planted. The U. S. production of Upland cotton is influenced by weather, thus production volume and quality varies from state to state and farm to farm and year to year. 100% of the cotton grown in the United States is machine-harvested, with approximately 70 percent machine-picked and the rest machine stripped.

Pima cotton is concentrated in the Western growing areas including the states of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

After harvest, cotton is taken to the gin in modules or stored in modules for later transported to the gin. There are about 700 gins operating in the United States. During the ginning process cottonseed is removed and the lint is cleaned and pressed into bales of about 500 pounds net weight.

After the ginning process a sample drawn from each side of the bale and combined into one sample. This sample is delivered to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for classification. Each individual bale goes thru the USDA cotton classification system. Cotton classification describes the quality of cotton using universal standards by the High Volume Instrument (HVI) classing system.

U. S. cotton is known for its quality and performance at the textile mill level. This begins at the farm. U. S. Producers use the most modern machinery and farming techniques. These practices promote less land, water and energy use, less soil erosion and minimal pesticide applications generating savings over 1 billion liters of tractor fuel annually and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
The goal of the entire U. S. cotton supply chain from production to end-of-life cycle is to create a more sustainable practice from the farm level and all parts of the supply chain. The U. S. industry takes great pride in preserving the quality of U. S. cotton in protecting the bale quality in its original condition to deliver a grade “A” bale to its textile customer in a timely manner.

Toyo Cotton Co., Dallas, TX is a proud part of the U. S. supply chain.